Just had the absolute pleasure of hearing Catherine Sanderson speak in New Orleans at LMA International. Her entire talk was amazing, but I wanted to share here her final 10 secrets to living a happier life:
- Change your behavior: Get enough sleep, exercise, spend time outside, meditate.
- Find your match: personally & professionally. In our job and our marriage. "The only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs
- Read a book you love
- Keep a gratitude journal (Don't go to sleep at night until you have written down 3-4 things you are thankful for right now
- Make a gratitude visit. (Find a person that changed or shaped your life in a meaningful way and go to visit that person. Don’t wait until they die to share with them how they change you.)
- Smile (even when you aren’t happy) Research shows smiling can change how you feel. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smiles, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy." -Thich That Hanh
- Perform random acts of kindness. Volunteer, donate to charity, give a gift to anyone!
- Spend money on the right things: spend money on experiences, DON’T SPEND IT ON BELONGINGS. Nobody says on their death bed, “I should have bought more crap.”
- Avoid comparisons. “Comparison is the thief of joy.” - Teddy Roosevelt. We have the power to choose the comparisons we make. It’s up to us to choose the nature of the comparisons that we make.
- Build & Maintain close relationships.
Here are some of the other great tweets shared by attendees on Twitter about the talk.
Speaking of happiness, ClearView Social threw a karaoke party with Mondaq last night in New Orleans at the Cat's Meow and we had an absolute blast. Thanks to all who attended.
Adrian Dayton is the Founder of ClearView Social, used by over 20,000 professionals to share thought leadership to their individual social networks. Interested in getting your professionals sharing? Click here to download his latest strategy guide: 9 Ways to Get Your Employees Sharing to Social Media